1) You can’t effectively run your business and be the expert at all things (like digital marketing). Trying to keep up with changing industry trends, updating your website, creating marketing campaigns, and having sufficient analysis of what is and isn’t working is no easy or quick task. Having a professional creating and watching over your assets and campaigns is essential to staying competitive. If it’s not your expertise, it’s an inefficient use of your time.
2) Misconfigured technology and campaigns cost you substantial opportunities. Just yesterday I was reviewing a client’s site and found that they had incorrectly modified the SEO plugin on all their blogs (9 different networked WordPress blogs), pulling in the same title tag instead the targeted title tag for each individual post. This was a huge lost opportunity and I’m unsure how long this had been set-up incorrectly. I fixed it immediately, made an annotation in Google Analytics noting when the change was made and opened a discussion on how we could help them with more technical digital marketing management. (Right now we just update code and perform general site maintenance).
3) Having real experience at your side is essential to not waste money and to avoid bad results. If you are hiring or outsourcing your digital marketing, make sure you’re not using someone just getting started, selling “flavor of the month” digital marketing tactics. An experienced professional management team will have a solid background of direct experience (with testimonials), makes recommendations on long standing strategies that work, and will provide fresh ideas to maintain a competitive advantage.
4) Someone to keep up with all the moving parts and to keep on schedule. Strategy, graphic design, content creation, programming, implementation, reporting, and continuous improvement, are all major components of successful digital marketing campaigns. Within those major components are many more tasks that are best managed and completed by an experienced team who knows how to get them all done on time.
5) Efficient use of your marketing budget to get the most out of your investment. Experienced technical digital marketing management teams have already overcome many of the challenges that businesses face when deploying campaigns. Do-it-yourself attempts and inexperienced technicians will waste your money and time, all while delivering less than effective campaign results.
6) Getting a fresh perspective on your current efforts. Some business owners are doing their own marketing and have had some successful results. However, many times I see that either their ambition to optimize marketing campaigns is waning or they’re stuck within the methods that they’ve been using over time and haven’t looked (or don’t trust) newer methods of marketing. Unsure of how digital marketing will work for them, they let the status quo lead and business stream stay as is and often get to a point where they are struggling to grow their business any further.
7) Having someone to be accountable. It’s easy to lose sight of working on your business, like developing new marketing campaigns and not having anyone truly accountable (because it isn’t a priority). When you spend money to hire someone to manage your digital marketing, you’ve hired an accountable party and you’ve made it a priority. The combination of the two will lead to a deeper commitment to this essential business practice.